Innovation Project Resources
CESMII is pleased to announce that five (5) Innovation Project proposals submitted in response to the RFP2 – Wave 4 open solicitation have been selected for negotiations. No project funding has been released at this point. Rather, this is the last step in the award process of this solicitation. Any, or all, of the selected teams that successfully complete negotiations will be awarded project funding and move to the project execution phase.
The teams selected for negotiation are listed below.
- Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) and Rafter Equipment Corporation will create smart-manufacturing profiles for fault detection and predictive diagnostics for manufacturing tubes and pipes. The monitoring system can create reports that show potential areas of failure, recommend responses to maximize uptime and energy efficiency, and identify preventative maintenance needed to minimize unnecessary part replacement and maintenance tasks.
- Atollogy, South Bay Solutions and North Carolina State University (NCSU) will create smart-manufacturing profiles for Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machines to increase operational and energy efficiency for CNC machines at South Bay Solutions. This project presents an opportunity to both improve performance and leverage the data collected to establish a generic CNC Process Profile on the CESMII smart-manufacturing platform. The project team will use cameras and sensors for data collection, advanced machine vision and artificial intelligence edge processing. These advances will lead to better operational planning, scheduling and energy management.
- Ectron will work with Inova Diagnostics to create smart-manufacturing profiles to improve their enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) process and production efficiencies applicable for pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and food industries. This project may effectively help measure antibodies, antigens, proteins and glycoproteins in biological samples during the pandemic.
- Tyson Foods and ThinkIQ will create smart-manufacturing profiles to optimize yield and material utilization on Tyson’s poultry processing equipment, enabling decisions based on real-time constraints in material flows, manufacturing operations, and energy consumption in a protein-based food processing environment. This project will demonstrate increased operational efficiencies that could be extended to other food processing and energy-intensive industries.
- ECM Performance Materials Corp and Flexware Innovation will create smart-manufacturing profiles to improve throughput, quality and energy efficiency across ECM’s chemical mixing and packing production lines. The project will provide a framework that small-to-medium-sized manufacturers can use to reduce collection, parsing and real-time data storage costs.
The RFP2 – Wave 4 project call was released in May 2020 with a focus on solving specific manufacturing problems through the use of Information Models and SM apps.
Read the full Department of Energy Announcement here
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RFP 2 - WAVE 4 PROJECT CALL BELOW
ANNOUNCED MAY 2020
CESMII is pleased to announce a Request for Proposals (RFP 2 - Wave 4) for institute roadmap projects. The areas of interest for this RFP waves will focus on:
- launching a new category of projects, called Innovation Projects, to create solutions to manufacturing problems through the use of CESMII technologies.
Innovation Projects are designed to rapidly develop solutions to solve challenging manufacturing use cases for processes and equipment relevant for CESMII's membership. Projects must bring value rapidly (approximately 3-6 months) and will be executed in an agile manner by an interdisciplinary team led by a manufacturer. The project team will collaborate and develop a solution that includes information models (SM Profiles) and applications necessary to solve the use case.
Read the full announcement here.
Below is available documentation to learn more about the goals of CESMII, Areas of Interest and process and deadlines for this RFP.
Proposals for each wave of this RFP are on separate schedules, as outlined below and in the supporting Resource documents.
RFP2 - Wave 4 Proposals
Informational Webinar Dates:
Two (2) Informational Webinars were held to provide information on Wave 4. Each webinar was scheduled for sixty (60) minutes and recorded. Links to the presentation and recording are listed below.
RFP2 - Wave 4 Informational Webinars
Download Presentation or Watch Recording
- May 14, 2020 at 4:00pm Eastern / 1:00pm Pacific
- May 19, 2020 at 2:00pm Eastern / 11:00am Pacific
Download the files below for all the information and templates required to successfully submit a proposal.
- RFP2 - Wave 4: Innovation Projects pdf - download
- Statement of Project Objectives (Word doc) for both waves - download
- Project Overview 1-page Template (PowerPoint) for both waves - download
- Model Sub-Agreement (zip file) for both waves - download
Questions And Answers:
Request for Proposal - Wave 4
Our ecosystem is inclusive by design,and everyone has a role to play.
Come find yours!
JOIN US >
Headquarters: Los Angeles, California
(888) 720-8096 | email@example.com
© 2019 CESMII - The Smart Manufacturing Institute, A Program in UCLA